Thursday, March 26, 2009

Taiwanese and Speaking English I

The majority of Taiwanese had an opinion on speaking English: they either wanted to speak it or wouldn't with a gun to their nose. Like, with meeting a foreigner, the number of Taiwanese who would simply act natural the first time was very small.

I remember this one when i stopped and asked directions from a sixteen year old school kid.

“Chong Kai Road, Lane 26. You know where it is?”I asked.

“I’m sorry. My English is not so good. It is a sad story - My parents push me to learn but I had no interest. I’m sorry,” he said before hurrying off into a shop.

Before driving off I tried to think of an indirect question to ask that would provoke the guy into another 10 minute diatribe in English, revealing the whereabouts of the school.

No comments: